Friday, September 10, 2010

Ramen, Ramen, Ramen

Who knew there were so many recipes that used ramen noodles?!  And I only thought they were for making soup or tossing on a salad in place of croutons.  I did a little research, and by research I mean I Googled "Ramen Noodle Recipes".  Lo and behold there is a smorgasbord of ramen recipes.  Some sound good, others just plain revolting like "Jail Break Ramen" that includes salsa, pepperoni, pickle relish, and mustard.  It must have been one starving and desperate college student that came up with that one! Blech!!!

On to the more exciting and tasty ramen noodle recipes...

My mom recently sent me this recipe which is quite similar to the Broccoli Slaw recipe I posted a few weeks ago.  However, this one takes the cake.  This salad has that sweet and salty taste that made me search for more salty nuts with every sweet tangy bite (I used a blend cashews, almonds, and pecans). Yum! Next time I need to add more nuts :)

As a side note, this recipe makes a lot, so I opted to just make a half recipe.


Asian Cole Slaw (from the kitchen of Liz Bears)
 
2 bags         shredded cabbage and carrot
2 boxes        of child size raisins
2-3               green onions
2 pks           ramen noodles any variety you like. I like chicken
1/3 cup        balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup        peanut oil
1/4 cup        brown sugar
1/3 cup        mixed nuts salted or otherwise
1 T              sesame seeds
1/2 ts       mint leaves finely chopped
 
Put 2 T oil and 1.5 pks of seasonings, and the nuts chopped up
into a shallow pan. Mix with the crushed noodles (uncooked) and
stir to coat everything. Toast for 10-15 minutes at 300 degrees.
 
While that's toasting, mix your cabbage, raisins, and finely
chopped green onions together in a large bowl.
 
In a smaller bowl whisk the remainder of the oil, the sugar, the vinegar,
and the sesame seeds together to make the dressing. Pour dressing
on the cabbage mixture and toss to coat. Then sprinkle half the toasted
mixture onto the salad and toss till evenly mixed. Top with the remaining
half of the toasted mixture and serve.
Note: some people like to use pine nuts, but I'm too cheap. You'll like
it if you do. Just be careful they burn easily.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh... something with less than 40 ingredients and only a little prep time. I may actually attempt this one. I have a rule: if I have to scroll down the page to read all the ingredients and/or if i don't know which aisle in Safeway or TJs the ingredient is in, the recipe is out. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then this one should be a no brainer for you ;)

    ReplyDelete