Thursday, September 30, 2010

Sandy's Green Smoothie Stuff

Green smoothie? Gross right? Don't be so quick to judge, it's actually very good.....and healthy!  Yep, I said it, good AND healthy!  I can't even taste the 'green stuff' (aka. spinach) and neither can the 17 month old picky patron.  Usually I'm not one to hide vegetables in the food I give Aaron, but this smoothie is an exception.  What a great way to get him to get his recommended dose of leafy greens.  Even the hubby tasted it and said it was good, but had too much banana.  Better he said 'too much banana' rather than spinach! hehe

Aaron enjoying his green stuff.


So, whether you have picky eating kids or just want another way to get some healthy greens in the ole bod, I can't think of a more tasty way!


This makes enough for 4 servings, so I only make a quarter of it since it won't keep well.  I have been informed that a half recipe will fit in a normal size blender.  
For Aaron's smoothies I keep it simple:
1/3 cup OJ (more or less)
1/2 banana
1/4 apple
small handful of spinach
3 ice cubes

To print, left click >file >print. To save file to your computer, right click on image, then "save image as".



Optional add ins, use one or more as desired:
 1/2 carrot (not too much)
  chunk of cucumber w/skin
  a piece of cooked sweet potato 
  2 T of canned pumpkin (freeze remainder in ice cube tray for future use)
  4-5 cherry tomatoes  or 1 slice of a large one
 
 coconut milk - 2- 4 Tablespoons or grated coconut (fresh would be ideal)
lime or lemon juice- a squirt or two
parsley or cilantro , fresh - a couple sprigs  
nutmeg 
cinnamon
vanilla,  about 1/2 teaspoon 
fresh grated ginger 
Experiment with other stuff, erring on the cautious side so not to spoil the taste, all measurements are just a suggestion - adjust to your taste. 

1 comment:

  1. I really have to try and see if I can get my grandkids to try your smoothie recipe.

    ReplyDelete