Monday, October 11, 2010

Lipton Cheese Steak Sandwiches

Lately I've been reading a ton of blogs. I can't believe how many talented people out there creating neat stuff!  In addition to my love of cooking, I am a lover of crafts. Lately in my spare time, I've been creating some nifty Halloween decorations that I found on some craft blogs.

Obviously, in addition to reading a lot of craft blogs, I check out a bunch of food blogs too.  I came across this simple recipe for Lipton Philly-Style Cheese Steak sandwiches the other day from fellow blogger Tidy Mom who periodically posts recipes on Unilever's The Family Dish.  I wasn't expecting these to taste like a true Philly cheese steak, but 'wit'* the Lipton Onion Soup mix, it had to be good!

*wit = the term used when ordering a cheese steak in Philadelphia that means "with onions".

Here I am at Pat's in Philadelphia last year eating the real deal.  I love how little man is eying my sandwich.  Don't worry little guy, you'll get your cheese steak soon!

Lipton Onion Soup mix makes everything taste so good!  I mix in into sour cream for a quick onion dip. I also love the recipe on the box for baked onion potatoes. Check it out sometime!

The recipe was simple enough, but I made some changes since I didn't have cube steak on hand.  I had never heard of it before, but found out it's the preferred steak for chicken fried steak, which, believe it or not I've never had despite being one of those GRITS (Girls Raised In The South).  Anyhoo, I used a piece of top sirloin that I found in the back of the freezer. I sliced it about 1/3" thick and pounded it with a meat hammer until it was as thin as it could be.

I also just left the steak in the pan and added the onion soup mix and water. Mixed. Heated for a couple minutes. Done.

My husband and I loved these sandwiches. The meat was so tender and the onion soup mix gave it a great flavor.  I served it with Trader Joe's garlic fries (and yes, wine :) ).  They tasted just like the ones served at the San Francisco Giants games. YUM!


Here's the recipes for these tasty sandwiches... (or link to the original recipe if you prefer)
To print, left click >file >print. To save file to your computer, right click on image, then "save image as". 

No comments:

Post a Comment