Thursday, October 21, 2010

Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Bread

My poor neglected baby blog.  It's been so neglected this week, but it's not because I don't have anything to publish.  I have a bunch of recipes on the back burner, but for some reason I've been swamped this week!  Maybe it has to do with the fact that our microwave is on the fritz and I am having to defrost and heat things up the old fashioned way.  It takes so much more planning to remember to defrost the chicken in the refrigerator the night before.  How did anyone ever live without a microwave?

I bought some sweet potatoes at Costco a couple weeks ago and you know what that means....lots of potatoes!  What to do with all these sweet potatoes you might ask?  Well, first, bake them (no microwave for these sweet things as it tends to dry them out).  To bake, I wash the outside of the sweet potato, then randomly stab it with a fork, individually wrap them in aluminum foil, and bake at 400F for an hour or so depending on size.  I learned to always put a cookie sheet on the shelf below the potatoes to catch any sugary drippings.  Cleaning the oven is avoided at all costs in my kitchen!

Sweet potatoes are sort of like pumpkin, they're both orange and fall foods....great reasoning, huh?! So, I decided to make sweet potato bread, but much to my amazement, I couldn't find many recipes and of those, they didn't look that great.   That's why I created my own version adapted from a pumpkin bread recipe.  All my tasters, kids and adults, agreed this recipe is a winner!  I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Best of all, I made it so it's fairly healthy, so there isn't much guilt associated with consuming more than you should :).

This recipe makes 2 loafs (or 1 loaf and 12 muffins).

Click to ENLARGE.
To print, left click >file >print. To save file to your computer, right click on image, then "save image as".
*Note:  15 oz of sweet potatoes is about 2 medium sweet potatoes.

1 comment:

  1. It's been a while since I stopped by your blog, Meg but I love how it has evolved. I don't have much time to cook all these delicious recipes but they all sound great. Good job!

    ReplyDelete